03:15
0

As his Gatsby Charitable Foundation reaches 50, the businessman and benefactor says that philanthropy is no substitute for benefits

David Sainsbury, Lord Sainsbury of Turville, who for 50 years has been a major benefactor of charities, education, research, the arts and projects in developing countries, and whose foundation has already given away more than £1bn, is appalled when I ask if he watched last month’s TV programme Get a House for Free, in which millionaire Marco Robinson gave a flat to the applicant deemed to be the most worthy recipient.

“I can’t think of anything I would like less,” he murmurs. “This is the reason why I believe in the proper welfare state, because I think these things should be a right. And I would hate to put myself in a position of trying to judge other people’s worthiness.”

Continue reading...

from Voluntary Sector Network | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2heQW96

0 comments:

Post a Comment