00:18
0

My charity’s work at the scene taught us the need for a better coordinated, more culturally sensitive response to disaster

Almost one year ago, in the burning heat of a summer day last Ramadan, the holy month in which Muslims fast, I woke to the tragic news of the Grenfell Tower fire and immediately felt compelled to go and help.

When I arrived, it was a scene of chaos, with firefighters still battling with the raging tower. Men and women were searching for loved ones and looking at me in despair. Community members were turning up in their numbers to provide donations of all kinds: the outpouring of generosity was unprecedented and like nothing I had ever seen before. Within hours I had a team of volunteers and staff armed with blankets and water bottles near the tower and 48 hours later we had a warehouse set up for distribution.

Continue reading...

from Voluntary Sector Network | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2H98ezA

0 comments:

Post a Comment