21:24
0
WQOW | Bridget Cuuran


Rochester (ABC News) - It is one of the rarest surgeries in the world, because of its complexity, and now, Mayo Clinic in Rochester is among the few successfully completing a face transplant.

In 2006, 21-year-old Andy Sandness was deeply depressed. As a result, he shot himself, knowing right away, he'd made a terrible mistake. Sandness survived, but his face was destroyed. Last year, he underwent a more than 50-hour surgery at Mayo, that used a donor's face. As a result, Sandness has a new life.

"I knew one day that I was normal looking,” said Sandness, “Because I hopped in the elevator. And I pushed my floor and I stepped back to the back wall and there was a little kid in there. And he looks over at me, and just looks straight back at his mom and doesn't say a word." Continue reading





from Donate Life Organ and Tissue Donation Blog℠ http://ift.tt/2l2bPF7

0 comments:

Post a Comment