07:05
0

An army of volunteers keep the horticulture industry afloat. Let’s recognise their contribution, argues Robbie Blackhall-Miles

I am a volunteer. For the past three and a half years I have had the pleasure and privilege to write this blog and it has given me so many wonderful things. I have had the opportunity to be a voice for all kinds of horticultural issues, I have asked questions that where difficult to answer and I have had the tremendous opportunity to put my thoughts and feelings about the garden industry and plant conservation into the public realm. I have done it voluntarily; from the very outset, that was my decision. I had been desperate to reach a much larger audience with my horticultural musings and Jane Perrone, my editor, said OK.

People’s reactions to finding out that I volunteer have been varied from “What? I can’t believe they aren’t paying you!” to “Wow, what a commitment”. The reality is though that I am not alone. I am one of very, very many within horticulture that give up their time, energy and, sometimes, money for the love of what we do.

Continue reading...

from Voluntary Sector Network | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2tt4wPd

0 comments:

Post a Comment