22:10
0

Press Telegram | Priscella Vega

Antoinette Campbell, front, received a kidney transplant from Amy Marshall, rear. Monday, August 24, 2015, Lakewood, CA. (Steve McCrank / Staff Photographer)

Two very important and seemingly disconnected events happened in 2006 for Lakewood mom Antoinette Campbell: She was diagnosed with kidney disease, and she met Amy Marshall when their daughters befriended each other at Patrick Henry Elementary School.

One would threaten her life. One would save it.

Five years later, Campbell’s condition worsened. Campbell’s kidneys were nearing failure, and doctors began to prepare her for dialysis. She also was placed on a donor waiting list.

“In my mind, the next step was being put on dialysis for the rest of my life. I learned to accept it. ‘I could handle it,’ I told myself,” Campbell said.

Even though dialysis is one option for kidney disease, it may not be as effective as a donated kidney. Continue reading

 



from Donate Life Organ and Tissue Donation Blog℠ http://ift.tt/1UaegQ0

0 comments:

Post a Comment