08:37
0

I recently read a piece of fundraising writing advice: Start with an outline. At first I scoffed. It seemed like an unnecessary extra step. Then I realized, I often use an outline.

It's just that I've been doing this so long the outline is mostly in my head. But it took a long time to get there.

Here's an outline I often use for writing a direct mail piece. It's just the letter, and it's about right for a four-page letter. It would be very tight on anything shorter than that, and it might call for a few added points if the letter is longer than four pages.

There are many other possible outlines. This is just one. Take it as a starting point. I can't guarantee it'll give you a winner, but I can say it has given me winners.

Fundraising Letter Outline

  • Introduction: why you're writing to the donor.
  • Ask. (Short version.)
  • Description of the problem.
  • Why the donor's gift is needed now.
  • Ask. (Extended version.)
  • A story that demonstrates the need, using the life of one person as an example. (One to four paragraphs.)
  • Ask.
  • Word-picture of the change that'll happen when the donor gives.
  • Ask.
  • Reminder that this cause is closely connected with the donor's values.
  • Ask.
  • Conclusion: thank the donor for caring.
  • P.S. Ask again.


from Future Fundraising Now https://ift.tt/38jYmSl

0 comments:

Post a Comment