09:12
0

To celebrate Volunteers’ Week we’re profiling some of the people who give up their time to help and inspire others

Adam Cousins wants to become a firefighter when he leaves college: “I didn’t know how to get started but one of my high school tutors gave me a leaflet about joining the fire cadets. When I applied we had to show teamwork skills, confidence and maturity but I didn’t think I would get in because there were a lot of applications. Luckily I did though.”

When not studying at Hugh Baird College, Cousins, who is 17 and from Liverpool, volunteers several times a week with Merseyside fire and rescue service. “I’ve been a cadet for over two years and I really enjoy it,” he says. “I’m hoping when I’m 18 I’ll be able to get a job as a firefighter. It’s not guaranteed after being a cadet but I hope my experience will help.”

Continue reading...

from Voluntary Sector Network | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2sCI4AA

0 comments:

Post a Comment