01:10
0

Allowing workers to take time off when they need it can help your team to thrive, rather than survive

In March 2016, I was exhausted and suffering from frequent panic attacks. I’d been in my first job for six months, working as a communications officer for Student Hubs, a charity that supports university students to take part in social action in their communities. After being diagnosed with coeliac disease and recovering from a debilitating eating disorder the previous summer, I was physically drained.

This didn’t stop me from dedicating most of my energy to work. I didn’t want my manager or colleagues to think I wasn’t committed or hardworking enough, so instead of working at a sustainable pace and taking regular breaks, I pressed on. I took two weeks off when the offices shut over Christmas, but I continued to sneakily tidy my inbox.

Continue reading...

from Voluntary Sector Network | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2q2E8oH

0 comments:

Post a Comment