00:05
0

At the Scottish Refugee Council we see increasing numbers of destitute asylum seekers as a direct result of government policy. We need a new approach

Nadia was six weeks pregnant and homeless when she made contact with a refugee charity in Glasgow. “I was so depressed when I found out I was pregnant,” she says. “I didn’t know what I was going to eat today or tomorrow. I didn’t know where I was going to live. I didn’t have any money and didn’t want my child to have to live like that.”

Nadia’s claim for refugee protection had been refused and, living in the “hostile environment” Theresa May has created for illegal immigrants, she was excluded from any UK asylum support, including emergency housing.

Continue reading...

from Voluntary Sector Network | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2skWVgG

0 comments:

Post a Comment