05:16
0

From contactless terminals to jackets with card readers, charities are being forced to adapt to keep up with Britain’s steady drop in cash usage

It’s 8am and Jonjo Doe is getting ready for his morning shift as a vendor of the Big Issue. Arriving in Cambridge three years ago after a brief spell in prison, he was homeless but eager to rebuild his life. Selling the Big Issue was one of the best ways to do that – and for a while the plan worked.

“I tend to ask everyone who walks by if they want to buy one,” says Doe. “Most people either come up with the excuse, ‘I haven’t got any change’ – which is easy [to respond to with] ‘I’ve got change for a note’ – but then there was, ‘Oh no, I’ve only got my card.’ And it just kept happening.”

Continue reading...

from Voluntary Sector Network | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2EX4mFC

0 comments:

Post a Comment