06:48
0

I had two uncles who were great storytellers: Uncle Herbert and Uncle Hubert. (They weren't brothers, as their names might suggest, but they were married to sisters, so they knew each other well.)

They were both product of a different world from ours: A world without electronic entertainment. Where the best thing to do of an evening with family or friends was to tell each other stories. And these uncles were generally the star of the room.

By the time I came along, TV was rapidly eroding that old form of live entertainment. But I sat in a lot of those sessions that the grown-ups found so compelling.

And I learned a few things there that I'd love to share with you. Find out where and how!

Uncle Herbert taught me these things:

  • Pull the listener into the narrative. Literally name the listener and say something about them, even if they play no actual part in the story.
  • Put yourself in the story, but only a little bit.
  • Make the structure of your story clear. Don't make people wonder how long it's going to take.
  • Be as interesting as possible. But also have a point.

I'm going to pass on some of those secrets to you in my new Moceanic online course, Your Blueprint for Donor-Focused, High-Revenue Fundraising Storytelling.

Here's what you get when you take the course:

  • Four densely packed 90-minute online sessions.
  • Take them at your own pace and on your own schedule.
  • Tons of practical bonus materials that would by themselves cost hundreds of dollars if you could even buy them.
  • Access to the Moceanic community, the smartest and coolest fundraising professionals around the world, who can be your sounding board and friends.
  • And it's guaranteed. If you don't think it's worth what you paid, you can have your money back.

And if you register by February 28 you'll get $100 OFF. Normal price: $397. But you can pay just $297!

The art of telling stories is about as old as humankind. But the art of telling fundraising stories is newer. Or at least a clear understanding of it is newer.

And that's why I hope you'll take my course. It made my fundraising stronger. Much stronger. It can do the same for you.

Allow me to give you a hint of what you'll learn at Your Blueprint for Donor-Focused, High-Revenue Fundraising Storytelling:

  • You'll be able to spot a well-written but ineffective story.
  • You'll know when your story is too long (or too short).
  • You'll be confident that you're making good story decisions.
  • You'll know before you even start writing when you have the right story material to work with -- and workarounds when you don't.
  • You'll have a rare and highly valuable skill that will go with you for the rest of your career, making you more valuable, more marketable, and more important.

Up above, I told you a few of the things my Uncle Herbert taught me about telling stories. What about his brother-in-law, Uncle Hubert?

His stories were in some ways even better than Herbert's stories. But there was a fatal flaw: Some of his stories were not true. Fictions, posing as reality.

And that made everyone dislike Hubert's stories. I'm sure some (maybe even most) of his stories were true. But because he'd tricked enough people enough times with his fakes, nobody wanted to hear his stories.

And that's the main thing he taught me: Only tell true stories. We'll take a good look at the ethics of storytelling in Your Blueprint for Donor-Focused, High-Revenue Fundraising Storytelling. It's a thorny area, and I want to help you get it right! (I promise I won't tell you what your ethics "should" be -- but I'll help you approach it with wide-open eyes!)

So to sum up:



from Future Fundraising Now http://ift.tt/2FfNdUm

0 comments:

Post a Comment