04:12
0
The government needs to either commit to NCS wholly or scrap it and use the money for a wide range of youth services

The government has launched a new civil society strategy to get charities and volunteers to play a larger role in the provision of public services once delivered by councils. But unless ministers are prepared to invest more in community projects, it cannot succeed. I should know, as I’m a good example of a how a “big society” youth scheme works when it is properly funded.

When I was 16, I took part in the National Citizen Service – a summer programme for 15- to 17-year-olds in England – and had the time of my life. Now, four years and two summer jobs with NCS later, I’m struggling to see the benefit of its continued existence.

Continue reading...

from Voluntary Sector Network | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2PcpzNg

0 comments:

Post a Comment