08:10
0

I started the weird adventure of blogging 15 years ago yesterday, on a now-defunct blog called Donor Power Blog. (This blog launched on September 26, 2009. This is my 2,449th post, with another 1,000-plus on the previous blog.

I know that's not important to you -- it's barely important to me -- but in those 15 years I've learned some things I'm glad I know and recommend them for you:

  1. Writing what you know helps you know what you write. A blog can do good things for the blogger, but for me, the big one is this. I've been forced to articulate things I know about fundraising. And the act of writing these things has made the much clearer to me. It can do that for you too. You needn't start a blog (unless you want a schedule treadmill to take over your life), but you can post on LinkedIn and other places like that.
  2. The conversation is transformational. You learn a lot more when you ask questions and comment on things. So comment on blogs and other places that encourage conversation. You'll get a lot more out of it than you do from just reading. You'll also get to know people you'll be very glad to know. Conversation is also the main reason you should attend a good conference now and then.
  3. Community is everything. Don't tackle this crazy profession alone! That's just dumb. Find your community. It's happening for free on Twitter, in many Facebook groups, and other social media venues. There are also some amazing paid memberships that have really superb communities (I recommend The Fundraisingology Lab.)


from Future Fundraising Now https://ift.tt/3fQbpxZ

0 comments:

Post a Comment