06:40
0

After my own experience in ICU, I became convinced of the therapeutic benefits of live music to those who are critically ill

Soothing acoustic music drifted through the clinical, high-tech ward. As the professional musician brought the gentle sounds of her African harp to patients’ bedsides, I witnessed the warming responses of relatives, staff and patients themselves. This was the most poignant, privileged and rewarding day I’d experienced in more than 25 years of voluntary work.

This was the first time live music had been played in the intensive care unit (ICU) of Manchester Royal Infirmary. I had volunteered with the charity Music in Hospitals for seven years and, after my own experience of ICU, had become convinced that the therapeutic benefits of live performance could be brought not only to patients on general wards, but to those who were critically ill.

Continue reading...

from Voluntary Sector Network | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2bBV5Qc

0 comments:

Post a Comment