09:44
0

Jewish Journal | Lisa Ellen Niver

You can save someone's life. New York is faced with a troubling statistic: the state ranks last in the country in percentage of residents registered as organ donors. With just 25% of New Yorkers enrolled on the registry, the state is well below the national average of 50%. This contributes to a troubling fact: every 18 hours a New Yorker dies waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.

From Shari Schnall: THE SIX LITTLE WORDS THAT CHANGED MY LIFE First published in Big City Moms IT WAS ABOUT TWO MONTHS BEFORE MY WEDDING. I WAS LYING AWAKE IN BED. ANOTHER RESTLESS NIGHT. I TRIED TO DISTRACT MYSELF WITH THOUGHTS OF OUR UPCOMING NUPTIALS: IMAGES OF MYSELF WALKING DOWN THE AISLE TOWARD MY FIANCÉ, OUR IDYLLIC HONEYMOON IN HAWAII, THE LIFE AHEAD WE HAD ENVISIONED FOR OURSELVES, HAPPILY MARRIED, WITH CHILDREN.

Suddenly, someone shuffled the sheet around my feet, and the friendly, familiar face of one of my favorite hospital residents peered behind my curtain, "Shari, we have a liver for you." Having been down this road two times before, I was hesitant to get too excited. But he assured me this time was "the one" and they were going to prep me in the next hour for the grueling transplant surgery. Continue reading

 



from Donate Life Organ and Tissue Donation Blog℠ http://ift.tt/1LTP7ET

0 comments:

Post a Comment