15:35
0
My Record Journal | Ken Liebeskind The North Haven Citizen
George Manguilli, left, donated a large portion of his liver to his brother Joseph on Jan. 21 at Yale-New Haven Hospital. | Ken Liebeskind / The North Haven Citizen
NORTH HAVEN — On Jan. 21 a live liver transplant took place at the Yale-New Haven Hospital, saving resident Joseph Manguilli’s life. The donor: his brother, George.

The brothers are now recuperating from the surgery, which not only saved Joe’s life, but also solidified family ties.

“We were always close, but this is something we never expected,” said Joe, 58. “It was lifesaving, woke everyone up and brought us so much closer together.”

George, 59, agreed to become a living donor for Joe, who had been on the waiting list for a liver.

“I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C 15 years ago,” Joe said. “Most people don’t make it because livers aren’t available, so we looked for donors, and my brother was a match. I was in the end stage of liver disease and this was my last year.”

“In the beginning I didn’t know about living donor programs,” George said. “Over the last few years as Joe became sicker I took more interest. So I called the Yale-New Haven Transplantation Center and they matched me up with a coordinator.” Continue reading
_________________________________________________________
You have the power to SAVE Lives
We are asking you to register as an organ, eye and tissue donor today.
In California:
Donate LIFE California | Done VIDA California
Nationwide:
Organ Donor | Donate Life America
...and have a conversation with your family.


from Donate Life Organ and Tissue Donation Blog℠ http://ift.tt/1ZLNQIz

0 comments:

Post a Comment