02:06
0

I was keen to use my comms skills to help the local branch of a national charity, but my efforts were wasted - an all-too-common experience for volunteers

When I saw that the local branch of a national charity was looking for volunteers, I applied. I had several years of experience working in PR and media, had some time to spare and was keen to use my communications skills to help a charity whose cause I felt passionately about.

After meeting with the volunteer manager and explaining my professional background, I didn’t hear anything back for weeks. Having been used to working in an environment where new jobs and contracts were agreed quickly and often on-the-spot, I was surprised at the lack of response. I was offering them my time, for free, for as long as they needed it – surely they would jump at the chance of help?

Continue reading...

from Voluntary Sector Network | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2gC5FMF

0 comments:

Post a Comment